www.flickr.com
julep2323's India photoset julep2323's India photoset

Exiting America

I'm in India and like to blog about it.

My Photo
Name:

A self-obsessed postdoc seeking social change, yet trapped in the infinite loop of drama resulting from her simultaneous love/hate relationship with academia.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

For Liz

Liz, remember how when we were talking about some strange food I had never had and you were trying to explain to me what it tasted like? And that your absurd frame of reference and blase assumptions about my worldliness when describing the taste to me ("You know, it tastes just like water buffalo milk.") made me laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh until I almost peed?

Well, Liz, after 2 weeks of water buffalo milk, I know exactly what it tastes like. And also the curd. And the cheese. And the G-d knows what else.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sandi! It's my birthday... and tonight we had a little party at the Flying Saucer. Giovanni was there and he recognized Arlen, said hello, and then asked me... "Hey, something's missing. Isn't there some dark haired chick that usually hangs out with that guy?"

Me: "Oh, you mean Sandi? His wife?"

Gio: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. That's right. Where is she?"

Me: "Oh, she's gallivanting around India right now."

Gio: "What... you mean like a vacation?"

Me: "Yeah, kinda of. More like a pre-midlife crisis."

Gio: "Nice. I knew someone was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it."

... so there you go! He DOES remember you!

Otherwise, we hope you're doing well and not laying around in a ditch dying somewhere. We really miss you a lots and stuff.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi,
Arica sent me the link to your blog, so now I can live vicariously as you experience India and keep a distant eye on whether you are eating (and eliminating) correctly. Anyway, really proud of you and so happy that you are experiencing India in an authentic fashion. Take care and I will certainly look forward to you reading about your adventures.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Julep said...

Morton,

That's hilarious and I'm glad I'm worthy of remembrance.

Re: the ditch... I did actually fall into a ditch the other day. But no worries, I got right up and didn't lay around in it.

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I just have to keep things real for you, so I just wanted to let you know that the voice of has Snoopy died. His name was Bill Melendez who's real job was animator for the Charlie Brown cartoons but he was also the voice of Snoopy. The obit says that while Snoopy never uttered an intelligible word, he did issue expressive howls, sighs and sobs.

2:02 PM  
Blogger KARE said...

I'm so glad you have tasted the "gamey" flavor of buffalo milk. They say it grows on you...but perhaps my lactose intolerance got in the way? Anyway, don't forget to try the yogurts & home brews! Oh yeah, and if someone offers you Tibetan tea, make some sort of an excuse...it's like drinking buttery broth mixed with tea. yummmm. If someone offers you Tibetan anything else (especially the hot millet beer), definitely take them up on it! I MISS YOU! HAVE DOUBLE THE FUN FOR ME!!!!!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home