www.flickr.com
julep2323's India photoset julep2323's India photoset

Exiting America

I'm in India and like to blog about it.

My Photo
Name:

A self-obsessed postdoc seeking social change, yet trapped in the infinite loop of drama resulting from her simultaneous love/hate relationship with academia.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

The boys are not that bad

Remember how I mentioned that in my guesthouse on the mountain in Bhagsunag 3 little boys peered at me through the window when I used the squat toilet? Well, it was a little embarassing but not as bad as I would feel if the same were to happen in the states (where it would be horrifying). In India there is no privacy and such things don't really matter. But several days ago, something far worse than the boys, something far more sinister and frightening was looking at me as I squatted in the middle of the night following a delicious dinner (the first time) of aloo dum kashmiri...a huge spider the size of my hand. It was something out of a nightmare. I didn't know whether to aim my torch as my ass to make sure I was aiming correctly or at the spider to make sure it wasn't coming at me.....it moved very fast! Fortunately, I managed to escape un-bitten.

Ah, humor. It's amazing that I still have some.

The past 3 days have been some kind of experience. With a 6 hour bus ride in the muddy mountains (and very nearly being abandoned at my stop by the bus, someone stealing my water bottle when I stepped out, and with the driver repeatedly getting stuck going around hairpin turns and arguing with other large vehicles about who should have to back-up so both could navigate the road) followed by a 16 hour train ride in general class (lowest class, meaning hard wood seats, no place to lie down, bouncing filthy children who kept staring at me everywhere, and only one stinky sqaut toilet), a bad cold/cough, regular diarrhea, and a growing painful, red, swelling, and blistering rash covering most of my body, for the first time last night I felt a little homesick. In the night I wanted to scratch myself to the bones and became very paranoid about having a bizarre blood infection or spreading the rash to my eyes.

But this morning (I am back in Rishikesh) I went to the Himalayan Hospital, managed to talk myself into seeing the only doctor on duty on a Sunday (a female gynecologist about 25 years old), and was told, assuredly, I didn't have anything too disgusting and nasty like scabies (one of my biggest fears). Instead I (hopefully) have had an allergic raction to something and was given some kind of medicine combined with an antihistamine. We'll see. The visit and medicine were free. If it works I will go back and make a large donation.

In a days time I was going to go on a pilgrimage into the mountains and the temple Gangotri but I feel like I should stay near a semi-reputable hospital until I recover somewhat.

Despite all of this, I love India! I have met the most amazing people and have been invited for dinner in several people's homes which I have enjoyed a lot. It's fun to pretend not to be so much of a tourist. Here in Rishikesh I can sit and listen for hours to the swami who lives at my guesthouse. Hinduism is so confusing and complex and so utterly foreign. I really don't understand it at all but I am trying.

As for now, I am feeling more energetic despite only eating a handful of crackers in the last few days. I think I will walk the market and buy some fruit and see if I can eat something else.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The visit and medicine were free. If it works I will go back and make a large donation."

An excellent idea that is sure to rack up some serious Karma points. Or... a large donation to the Spam Poetry guru is sure to bestow blessings for you and your future generations. We accept beer, yummy food and beer.

"only eating a handful of crackers in the last few days."

You're only slightly ahead of Liz as she's on another cleanse diet.

By the way, my intern said that today was the last day of a festival honoring Ganesh. Have you noticed anything related to Ganesh during your travels?

8:59 PM  
Blogger Raw Yoga Babe said...

luve and miss you loads--esp our tele conversations--who is this morton hurley, btw?

live each day.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home