www.flickr.com
julep2323's India photoset julep2323's India photoset

Exiting America

I'm in India and like to blog about it.

My Photo
Name:

A self-obsessed postdoc seeking social change, yet trapped in the infinite loop of drama resulting from her simultaneous love/hate relationship with academia.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

How Many Pictures Do I Really Need?

First off, let me say that Himalayan hospital worked a miracle....my rash is healed!

My last few days in Rishikesh were un-freaking-believable. I visited temple after temple and puja after puja. New arrivals came to the guesthouse and I heard stories I could hardly believe...involving the Beatles, leopards, and the ingestion of cobra venom (apparently to amazing results). One night I walked along a road that is closed each night to prevent traffic accidents with the wild elephants. Sadly, I didn't see any. A German man came to stay at the guesthouse with his 3 daughters. Turns out that his twin daughters were born 19 years ago....there in the Hanuman (monkey God) room. He delivered his babies by himself and was priding himself on his good work after cutting his daughter's umbilical cord when his wife said she felt some other movement......to everyone's surprise.....in a few minutes.....they had twins! A Swiss man who has lived in India for 26 years also came to visit. He is totally assimilated. They call him "SwamiG" and he wears a HUGE red turban and is covered in prayer beeds. In Switzerland he is considered um, insane (or something) so he is given a "crazy pension" which he lives off of quite nicely in Rishikesh with his wife and two daughters. He supplements his pension in various ways.

Now that the rash is over (hoorah!), I am now plagued by another problem. It is this:
Just how many pictures do I really need of the Taj Mahal?

I am in Agra now and visited the Red Fort and Taj today. I saw the Taj at sunset and I couldn't stop taking pictures of it as the light changed....it was simply incredible, beyond anything that you see in a picture.

Tomorrow more Agra and then to Varanassi on a night train....this time not general class. ;) Then a long long train to Mumbai for my flight to Amsterdam on the 18th.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"They call him "SwamiG" and he wears a HUGE red turban..."

ACtually, they call him Swami Ji. In Hindi, the "ji" is an honorific title given to men of high esteem.

This message courtesy of my intern and Hurricane Ike.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home